Tuesday, December 15, 2009



So, a few months back, I was going around asking folks if they had seen "The Hurt Locker". Most people looked at me with that furrowed brow "Huh?"...kinda stare. No one I knew had seen it and I know some real cinemahounds...and because of that I started to wonder... had I seen it?

I mean it was all under suspect circumstances, no witnesses, I had taken my self to the movies no girlfriend or buddy...just me in my favorite little movie theater, CINEARTS, in Pleasant Hill. I can remember coming out of the theater a little disoriented...wanting to talk to someone about it and having no where to go with my thoughts.

So, I believe I tucked it away....forgot about it...or I had never seen it...not sure.

Then I read that "The Hurt Locker" has won several awards lately including the Los Angeles Film Critics and New York Film Critics Circle awards for "Best Film".

...and like an old acid trip...the film comes back to me, as clear as if I just saw it this past weekend. This movie is intense...visceral...it was something that I felt as much as watched.

It is about the soldiers in an Army bomb squad unit in Iraq...the movie is well written by a guy named Mark Boal and directed by Kathryn Bigelow, both of whom were also nominated for awards. not that I need the LA or New York critics to validate my opinions....remember I am the guy who told you to see "Bubba Ho-Tep" (the best Elvis/Zombie/Kennedy conspiracy movie ever made)

No comments:

Post a Comment